PlayStation Plus Extra game library refreshed - Will incorporate Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima and more
With a massive PS Plus relaunch on the horizon (get Zero Dawn's jokes here), we finally have an idea of exactly what to expect. Today, in a blog entry, Sony outlined everything — games, streaming offerings, and partnership with Ubisoft — coming to the service. It's a lot. Let's break it down.
Officially announced in March, PS Plus 2.0 is a sweeping renewal of PS Plus's long-running service, combining all of your disparate PlayStation subscriptions into one. It's available in three levels, which you can read more about here, but a general split is available
- PS Plus Essential: People who subscribe the most subscribe to PS Plus today more or less. $10 ($14) per month, $60 ($83) per year.
- PS Plus Extra: Just like PS Plus Essential, but it also gives access to an on-demand game library of "hundreds" of PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games. $15 ($21) per month, $100 ($139) per year.
- PS Plus Premium: In addition to the library of games remembered for PS Plus Extra,you can also stream and download PlayStation games dating back to the PS1 era — kind of like the current PS Now service — and you get time-limited trials of new first-party PlayStation games. $US18 ($25) a month, $US120 ($167) a year.
What games are part of the library?
However, choosing to play PS5-exclusive features at no additional cost has been an attractive selling point for PS Plus 2.0, the initial lineup leaves a bit undesirable. Three PS5 exclusives are available at launch: Returnal, Destruction AllStars, and Demon's Souls Remake. Pour one for the Rivet.
The library is designed at least by an impressive selection of multi-generational games, available on both PS4 and PS5. Notable features include Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Ghost of Tsushima ((the Director’s Cut version at that), Death Stranding, Control: Ultimate Edition, and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales.
About 30 games from Ubisoft's On Demand Games Management, Ubisoft +, for PS Plus Extra and Premium subscribers. Relatively recent inclusion is Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which everyone seems to be playing already by now. The rest is for series that have had a new entry or two lately — Watch Dogs, Steep, Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 — or are smaller titles, like the excellent Child of Light.
Rounding out the list is a number of major PS4 games - essentially a repeat of the current PS Plus' range that existing subscribers can, enhanced by a handful of third-party hits. Features include Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Uncharted 4, and Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Outer Wilds Cities: Skylines, Celeste, The Last of Us: Remastered, and Marvel's Spider-Man.
Wait…why isn’t the PS5 version of Marvel’s Spider-Man included?
hit me! (Sony did not respond to requests for input.) Insomniac's overall treatment of Spider-Man games was a mess.
Weird. So, what’s the deal with classic games?
Players who subscribe to the most expensive tier also get downloadable access to a number of "classic" games from. It's odd what Sony considers a "classic". Some of them make perfect sense: monkey escape, jump flash, dark cloud. Others, such as BioShock remaster and, Kingdoms of Amalur: Recalculation? Less feeling.
More up in the air is a matter of digital ownership: When Sony initially announced PS Plus 2.0, few gamers were (legitimately) worried that they might have to spend money playing games they'd already bought on older hardware. Sony says, if you've purchased digital versions of classics from the PS1 and PSP era, you don't need to subscribe to PS Plus to play them. However, you can only enter the PlayStation Store and re-download as soon as it becomes available. But, on the other hand, "some titles will also be available for individual purchase." It is not clear what these games are yet, or whether the process will start smoothly as Sony says.
What games can I stream?
If you sign up for PS Plus Premium, you can stream a lot of PS3 games, including Infamous, Devil May Cry HD Collection, and three Ratchet, Clank, and Demon's Souls games (the original, not the remake). Lots of action-focused games require split-second button inputs. It will be interesting to see if and how latency gets in the way of these games. Sony requires an Internet connection speed of at least 5 Mbps. As a point of comparison, for its cloud gaming, Microsoft doesn't require a minimum but recommends 20Mbps on consoles.
What game demos are available?
This higher level additionally allows you to experience - get this - a total of six two-hour games total for the piece. Sony says the countdown only starts when you're "in the game," but it's not clear if that includes time spent in pauses, in menus, or what.
At launch, Farming Simulator 22, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Horizon Forbidden West, and WWE 2K22 are available on both PS4 and PS5. On PS5, you can get demos of Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves (which essentially offers elaborate version mods of games already fully included as part of the on-demand games library) and Cyberpunk 2077. Well, I wonder why the PS4 version wasn't included from that...
OK, when does this all go into effect?
Sony is rolling out PS Plus 2.0 piecemeal in various regions: Asia on May 24, Japan on June 2, North and South America on June 13, and Europe, Australia, and New Zealand on June 24. Here’s the full list of games?
Games Available With PS Plus Extra
- Alienation | Housemarque, PS4
- Ashen | Annapurna Interactive,PS4
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
- Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
- Bloodborne | FromSoftware, PS4
- Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
- Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
- Concrete Genie | Pixelopus, PS4
- Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
- Days Gone | Bend Studio, PS4
- Dead Cells | Motion Twin, PS4
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition | Housemarque, PS4
- Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director’s Cut | Kojima Productions, PS4/PS5
- Demon’s Souls | Bluepoint Games, PS5
- Destruction AllStars | Lucid Games, PS5
- Everybody’s Golf | Japan Studio, PS4
- Far Cry 3 Remaster | Ubisoft, PS4
- Far Cry 4 | Ubisoft, PS4
- Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
- For Honour | Ubisoft, PS4
- Ghost Of Tsushima Director’s Cut | Sucker Punch, PS4/ PS5
- God of War | Santa Monica Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
- Horizon Zero Dawn | Guerrilla, PS4
- Infamous First Light | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Infamous Second Son | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Knack | Japan Studio, PS4
- LittleBigPlanet 3 | Sumo Digital, PS4
- LocoRoco Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- LocoRoco 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
- Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
- Matterfall |Housemarque, PS4
- MediEvil | Other Ocean, PS4
- Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
- Narutoshippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
- Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
- Patapon Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Patapon 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
- Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4
- Resogun | Housemarque, PS4
- Returnal | Housemarque, PS5
- Shadow of the Colossus | Japan Studio, PS4
- Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole | Ubisoft, PS4
- Tearaway Unfolded |Media Molecule, PS4
- The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
- The Crew 2 | Ubisoft, PS4
- The Division | Ubisoft, PS4
- The Last Guardian | Japan Studio, PS4
- The Last of Us Remastered | Naughty Dog, PS4
- The Last of Us: Left Behind | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Until Dawn | Supermassive Games, PS4
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection |Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- WipEout Omega Collection | Clever Beans & Creative Vault Studios, PS4
Additional Games Available With PS Plus Premium
- Ape Escape | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Ape Escape 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits | Japan Studio, PS4
- Bioshock Remastered | 2K Games, PS4
- Borderlands The Handsome Collection | 2K Games, PS4
- Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition | Gearbox Publishing, PS4
- Dark Cloud | Japan Studio, PS4
- Dark Cloud 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- FantaVision | SIE, PS4
- Hot Shots Golf | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Hot Shots Tennis | Japan Studio, PS4
- I.Q. Intelligent Qube | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Jak II | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak 3 | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak X: Combat Racing | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Jumping Flash! | Japan Studio, Original PlayStation
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning | THQ Nordic, PS4
- LEGO Harry Potter Collection | WB Games, PS4
- Mr. Driller | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
- Rogue Galaxy | Japan Studio, PS4
- Siren | Japan Studio, PS4
- Super Stardust Portable | Housemarque, PSP
- Syphon Filter | Bend Studio, Original PlayStation
- Tekken 2 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., Original PlayStation
- Wild Arms 3 | SIE, PS4
- Worms World Party | Team 17, Original PlayStation
- Worms Armageddon | Team17, Original PlayStation
- Asura’s Wrath | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- Crash Commando | Creative Vault Studios, PS3
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 | Konami, PS3
- Devil May Cry HD Collection | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- Demon’s Souls | From Software, PS3
- echochrome | Japan Studio, PS3
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West | Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc., PS3
- F.E.A.R. | WB Games, PS3
- Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds | Japan Studio, PS3
- Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational | Japan Studio, PS3
- Ico | Japan Studio, PS3
- Infamous | Sucker Punch, PS3
- Infamous 2 | Sucker Punch, PS3
- Infamous: Festival of Blood | Sucker Punch, PS3
- LocoRoco Cocoreccho! | Japan Studio, PS3
- Lost Planet 2 | Capcom Co., Ltd., PS3
- MotorStorm Apocalypse | Evolution Studios, PS3
- MotorStorm RC | Evolution Studios, PS3
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 | Koei Tecmo, PS3
- Puppeteer | Japan Studio, PS3
- rain | Japan Studio, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time |Insomniac Games, PS3
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare |Rockstar Games, PS3
- Resistance 3 | Insomniac Games, PS3
- Super Stardust HD | Housemarque, PS3
- Tokyo Jungle | Japan Studio, PS3
- When Vikings Attack | Clever Beans, PS3